[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Removing mpeg4video from mpegvideo

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 22:37:59 EET 2017

On 11/4/2017 5:27 PM, Kieran Kunhya wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to remove MPEG-4 support from mpegvideo in order to upstream the
> following code:
> https://github.com/kierank/ffmpeg-sstp
>
> I'll need to extract mpeg4video from mpegvideo for the following reasons in
> the Studio Profile:
>
> - 10-bit video, mpegvideo.c is entirely 8-bit, I'll need to write a new
> idct or use an existing (e.g ProRes) if applicable
> - DPCM mode (a bit like h264's mode)
>
> In particular I think this will break lowres. Is this ok or will the patch
> be blocked?

lowres is deprecated and the only reason it wasn't removed during this
major bump was because i couldn't feasibly find a way to untangle it
from the rest of the codebase, and no one else answered my call for help
when i sent the major bump patch two months ago.

The unstable ABI period is still open, for that matter, so if you or
anyone else feels like giving it a try then there's still a couple weeks
to remove it as originally scheduled.
Otherwise, it will be removed next year or so alongside AVStream->codec.