[FFmpeg-devel] On in-tree external headers

Jan Ekstrom jeebjp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 00:12:58 EET 2017

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Timo Rothenpieler
<timo at rothenpieler.org> wrote:
> For once, there should be a good reason to do so.

Agreed.

> In case of nvidia the headers in this form is otherwise unobtainable, and
> it's also partially modified specifically for use in ffmpeg.
> Getting the original headers is also not straight forward as you need an
> nvidia developer account, which you cannot just register for, but you need
> to apply for.

Just my 20 cents, but this point is kind of less straightforward.
Sure, we like having more features and various vendors also like the
fact that we've made their things easily usable. But this also leads
to the in my honest opinion uncomfortable case where due to the first
vendor being an unfortunate REDACTED regarding the SDK, anything that
comes afterwards and handles itself properly seems to be getting less
nice handling if requested to behave like a normal thing in the
ecosystem. If we think about a case where the other vendor's SDK would
have been presented here first, and we would have made it available
with a dependency on its SDK, it would have been much less likely that
we would have added this latter feature with the headers there. But
this is just theoretical at this point since no proper SDK has come up
on either vendor's side. I think VA-API is currently the only thing
with a "proper SDK" (and the other Intel thing is one where someone
took the time to make it into a proper "SDK").

To be honest, I wouldn't be against removing nvidia's headers and
having them separate just to have the result be similar (even though
users would most definitely be confused at first). Avisynth/Avxsynth
is kind of a special kind of open source mess where having the header
inside makes sense (and let's not even go into Avisynth+ which doesn't
seem to want to be binary compatible with Avisynth 2.6).

> I also feel like whatever this rule would look like, it's already practiced
> that way. There isn't really a way not do decide this on a case by case
> basis. Luckily it's not something that comes up every other day.
> If someone would submit random third party library headers to compat/ for no
> apparent reason other than comfort, it would certainly be rejected.

Yes, the rule most certainly would contain something along the lines
of "...this is something that should be considered on a case-by-case
basis with a reasoning being mentioned and considered..."

Best regards,
Jan