[FFmpeg-devel] How to preserve @subheading directives, and styling, when compiling doc/developer.texi ?

Jim DeLaHunt from.ffmpeg-dev at jdlh.com
Tue Nov 21 11:20:32 EET 2017

Hello, doc maintainers:

Could I get some help with the Texinfo compilation which produces
/developer.html, please?

Page <http://ffmpeg.org/developer.html> is a document which has some
section headings displayed in green text, and some subheadings displayed
in grey text. Section headings appear in the Table of Contents, but
subheadings do not. For instance, at
<http://ffmpeg.org/developer.html#Documentation_002fOther>, the section
begins:

__

It is important to do this as the diffs of all commits are sent there
and reviewed by all the other developers. Bugs and possible improvements
or general questions regarding commits are discussed there. We expect
you to react if problems with your code are uncovered.

I believe this page corresponds to file /doc/developer.html in the
FFmpeg build tree, which is compiled from source in /doc/developer.texi
via "make doc".

When I do "make doc" and generate /doc/developer.html from the current
*master* branch (commit ba98f84), I get a different-looking HTML file.
The section title is in light grey text, and the subheading is missing
entirely.  At
<file:///Users/myuser/workspace/ffmpeg/doc/developer.html#Documentation_002fOther>,
the section begins:

        _1.4.3 Documentation/Other_

It is important to do this as the diffs of all commits are sent there
and reviewed by all the other developers. Bugs and possible improvements
or general questions regarding commits are discussed there. We expect
you to react if problems with your code are uncovered.
It is important to do this as the diffs of all commits are sent there and
reviewed by all the other developers. Bugs and possible improvements or
general questions regarding commits are discussed there. We expect you to
react if problems with your code are uncovered.

So, it appears that when compiling on my local machine, the @subheading
directives are discarded, and the styling differs from what is on
ffmpeg.org.

How can I compile /doc/developer.html from the FFmpeg sources so that:

1. the subheadings are included, and

2. the styling matches what is at ffmpeg.org/developer.html

Thanks in advance for your help.  Best regards,
        —Jim DeLaHunt

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953