[FFmpeg-devel] AMD external header

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 05:11:12 EET 2017

On 11/27/2017 12:00 AM, Mironov, Mikhail wrote:
> [...]

Nobody is against adding AMD specific encoders and hwaccels. The issue
for some seems to be the inclusion of external headers.

Currently, nothing in our policy is against it, and as I and Philip
already stated, your additions shouldn't be gated on a potential future
policy change about bundled headers, so your patch can initially go in
with the header.

> I also noticed that recently there is a lot of activity to add full Nvidia decoders  to FFmpeg (VC1, MPEG4, VP8, VP9 etc.).
> I am guessing this is to overcome DXVA or VAAPI shortcoming. What about AMD? We also have them.

Simply put, those developers wanted to write those features.

dxva2 and d3d11va work just fine with AMD hardware, for that matter. And
nobody stops you or anyone to write similar hwaccels for AMD specific APIs.