[FFmpeg-devel] AMD external header

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 29 18:47:01 EET 2017

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 17:42:05 +0100
Timo Rothenpieler <timo at rothenpieler.org> wrote:

> Am 29.11.2017 um 17:40 schrieb wm4:
> > On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 17:27:01 +0100
> > Hendrik Leppkes <h.leppkes at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> No, thats not how it is. They re-licensed the video related headers to
> >> be usable some time ago, and there have been no signs of this changing
> >> back again.
> >> Only the actual CUDA headers are still closed, but we don't need them.
> >
> > Oh, great. Then why do we do that at all? We'd only need have some code
> > for dynamically loading actual functions, but this would be way less
> > code.
>
> Because the headers are in an SDK you have to be an approved nvidia
> developer for to download it.

Oh, how evil.

> And they are also not useful without quite some modifications. The whole
> dynamic loading is made by me, not by nvidia.

Yeah, I understand that. But the function loading should make only a
small part of it, and could just be a normal source file. (We do
ad-hoc function loading for a lot of other stuff too.)

Then we could depend on external, unmodified SDK headers, which someone
could extract to a git repo, to avoid going through nvidia's broken
procedures.