[FFmpeg-devel] nvenc: missing slice offsets in NV_ENC_LOCK_BITSTREAM::sliceOffsets

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Sat Sep 2 21:57:35 EEST 2017

Hello,

I am currently dealing with an issue regarding interlaced encoding with
nvenc.
NVENC uses field mode encoding, which means there are two slices(or
rather, double the amount than usual, depending on
sliceMode/sliceModeData) per input frame and output packet.

Now I had hoped I could just use the sliceOffsets returned in the
NV_ENC_LOCK_BITSTREAM data.
So I turned on reportSliceOffsets in the init encode params.
And numSlices does indeed go from 1 to 2 when doing an interlaced
encode. But all the reported sliceOffsets remain 0.
If I increase the sliceModeData to 4, so it creates multiple slices for
testing, only the first 4 array fields get populated, and the other 4
remain 0, while the reported slice count in numSlices is 8.

Thus it is impossible to split the returned data into multiple packets,
which is necessary to give each packet its own timestamp, as is required
for field mode interlaced encoding to work properly.

Is this indeed a driver bug, or is there some other way to get the
required offset?

Regards,
Timo Rothenpieler