[FFmpeg-devel] [Patch] CUDA Thumbnail Filter

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Mon Sep 11 13:33:53 EEST 2017

> It would be nice, yes, but I'm not sure there is actually that much need with the current setup.  The use-cases for the two as currently written don't really overlap - CUDA is useful in the cases you describe with (possibly multiple) high-power GPUs trying to squeeze as much performance as possible out of a system to run many streams, while my OpenCL stuff is intended to be useful on random low-power devices where doing more stuff on the GPU can make the difference between managing real-time or not on a small number of streams.
>
> On this filter in particular, I find thumbnail a slightly weird choice to want to write a GPU version of, but if it works in essentially the same way as the software filter and someone has a use-case for it then sure.  (* Not that I've actually read it, I'm not familiar with CUDA at all.)  An "N times speedup" metric or comparison with some CPU implementation with SIMD is essentially irrelevant, because that isn't the point - even when slower than the CPU implementation there can still be value in it not running on the CPU (this probably won't happen with CUDA because it only runs on high-power devices, but it is certainly possible on mobile devices with OpenCL).
>
> - Mark

Creating a bunch of thumbnails without major system impact is probably
useful for big video websites that want to save time and system
resources. While definitely not an everyday use case, I can see
applications for it.

Some other filters I intend to write/add CUDA versions of are chromakey
and despill. And, for those first ones to be useful at all, the overlay
filter as well.