[FFmpeg-devel] Global options to compile FFmpeg with only audio-related features

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 2 23:28:43 EET 2018

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 19:41:39 +0100
"Cyber Sinh" <cyber.sinh at free.fr> wrote:

> Nobody has an idea?
>
> Thanks.

> Checking AVMEDIA_TYPE seems to be the best way to split audio and video codecs.
> But what is the best way to exclude demuxers and parsers which have no sense for audio (because they are intended to be used only with video/image without audio for example)?

To be honest, I don't think there are many interesting formats that do
not support audio at all. Maybe some game formats or almost-raw
demuxers. But most containers probably support audio in some form
(since the point of container formats is to mux audio _and_ video in
the first place). Especially all the complex formats (which will
inflate the size of the libavformat binary) will support audio too.

The best you can do is probably picking a list of formats that make
most sense for most formats associated with storing music or whatever
(the list would start with things like flac and mp3). I know that's
exactly what you want to avoid, but in the end there's no single answer
to what an "audio" demuxer is, so everyone has to answer that
themselves.