[FFmpeg-devel] Status of the generic codec options

Mathieu Duponchelle mathieu at centricular.com
Fri Jul 13 00:35:49 EEST 2018

As explained in https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#Codec-Options :

Sometimes, a global option may only affect a specific kind of codec,
and may be nonsensical or ignored by another, so you need to be aware
of the meaning of the specified options.

As far as I can tell, there is an effort to move options to private codec options,
as some generic options were removed in 4.0, however it seems that there still are
a lot of not-that-generic options still exposed.

Can we expect more improvements in that direction in the future, under what
form, and is there anything one could do to help?

--
Mathieu <https://www.centricular.com>