[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Make the user help mailing lists subscription only

Gyan Doshi gyandoshi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:32:37 EEST 2018

On 18-07-2018 04:13 AM, Lou Logan wrote:
> I'm considering changing the ffmpeg-user and libav-user mailing lists to only accept messages from subscribed users. ffmpeg-devel would be excluded from this due to the higher familiarity of mailing lists with that audience.

What's the volume of messages from non-subscribers relative to subscribers?

One issue I see with subscriptions is that the typical 'customer' of
*-users is someone only interested in solving their problem. Receiving a
bunch of unrelated messages every day, when one has only a narrow and
temporary concern with ffmpeg, is annoying.

When the list receives a message from a first-time non-subscriber user,
can Mailman either auto-subscribe them or send out an email with a link
to a pre-filled subscription page ? Just thinking of ways to reduce
friction or annoyance for someone who's just discovered the ML and wants
to post a query.

Gyan