[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] New build system

Rostislav Pehlivanov atomnuker at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 00:50:16 EEST 2018

On 14 June 2018 at 19:56, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> Josh de Kock (2018-06-14):
> > As such, I'd like to propose adopting a new build system to FFmpeg,
> namely
> > Meson[1].
>
> I am very strongly against this.
>
> I loathe make and all it has to do with it, but really, for a project
> like this, it is the only viable option. The principles of make are
> already known by almost all potential Libre software developers, those
> in the project and those not yet.

No, it isn't. Maybe if you took a moment to look at the proposed branches
you'd notice NONE Of them remove ./configure. In fact that's precisely the
plan - to leave and still support the script for the forseeable future.
Hence your predjudice is unjustified. This simply adds support for a faster
build system to those who wish to use it.