[FFmpeg-devel] Unsupported video format

John Duchek johnduchek at tularosa.net
Mon Oct 1 21:30:10 EEST 2018

I think I found a video format that is not supported that would be
useful (particularly for amateur astronomers) to be supported.
When taking webcam type photos of the moon and planets, these people
have moved away from avi files, and are using .ser files.

My understanding of this comes from:

http://www.grischa-hahn.homepage.t-online.de/astro/ser/

which describes it.

Simple uncompressed video format for astronomical capturing:

     unlimited file size
     time stamps (UT) for every frame
     8..16 bit per pixel and plane
     Monochrome, Bayer RGB/CMY, full RGB (v3)
     contains information about observer, camera and telescope
     SER files are supported by:

     Lucam Recorder (v2)
     AiryLab Genika Astro (v2)
     Open Astro Project - oaCapture (v2)
     SIRIL (v3)
     FireCapture (v3)
     PIPP (v3)
     WinJUPOS (v3)
     AutoStakkert!2 (v3)
     AviStack (v2)
     RegiStax (v2)
     ImagesPlus (v2)
     Planetary impact flashes detection with DeTeCt (v2)

The website above has descriptions of version 2 and 3 of the format, and
a sample implementation in Pascal.

Would there be any interest in supporting this format?

Thanks,

John Duchek