[FFmpeg-devel] A query on FFmpeg OpenMAX IL supported backends

Dennis Mungai dmngaie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 22:39:27 EEST 2018

 Hello guys,

I had posted this earlier on the ffmpeg-user mailing list (and received no
response) and it'd seem that this is the right place for this, due to the
subject matter.

>From the documentation available on FFmpeg's support for OpenMAX IL, the
only backend I can confirm to be officially supported (correct me if I'm
wrong) is the library provided for the Raspberry Pi, namely libbcm_host.so
and libopenmaxil.so, satisfied by the packages libraspberrypi0
libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi-bin on raspbian. See
line 140-145 in libavcodec/omx.c , doxygen entry
https://www.ffmpeg.org/doxygen/3.1/omx_8c_source.html.

The named packages above are related to Broadcom's VideoCore SIPs on the
Raspberry hardware.

When it comes to encoders, there is h264_omx.

My questions are:

1. What platforms are supported by the current OMX implementation in
FFmpeg, Bellagio? Is Xilinx-based hardware supported?

2. Can another OpenMAX IL backend, such as the library offered by Xilinx,
see https://github.com/Xilinx/vcu-omx-il be added to FFmpeg in the same way
as Bellagio's? That way, hardware such as Xilinx's Zync MPSoCs can be
supported by encoders such as h264_omx above as an alternative to this
solution shown here: http://fftrac-bg.ffmpeg.org/ticket/7214

The h264_onx encoder also offers an option for selecting a library name and
prefix via the -omx_libname and -omx_libprefix arguments respectively,
though I'm yet to test this option.

Warm regards,

Dennis.