[FFmpeg-devel] did the ffmpeg ac3 decoder need license in commercial use?

Jeyapal, Karthick kjeyapal at akamai.com
Mon Oct 8 15:34:01 EEST 2018

>On 10/8/18, 4:24 PM, "tugouxp" <13824125580 at 163.com> wrote:
>
>hi folks:
>

>  did  the doby ac3 decoder/encoder on ffmpeg implementation need licencesed on commercial use? i am not a lawyer and i search tons of materials on google, but more confused than before.
>so, can i get the answer clearly in here for this question?
As far as I understand, all Dolby AC3 patents expired on Feb 2017. Hence, I would think no extra license is required from Dolby for using AC-3 decoder and encoder that is present as part of ffmpeg.
But then I am not qualified to comment on this subject and hence I could be wrong. Please don't hold me responsible for anything. Maybe you could ask this question to Dolby directly just to be 100% sure.