[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] Project policy on closed source components

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Mon Apr 29 01:10:52 EEST 2019

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019, Mark Thompson wrote:

> On 28/04/2019 21:02, Marton Balint wrote:
>> ... closed source libraries which are not considered "System Libraries" according to the GPL ...
>
> Please can you define this in a precise way which does not rely upon
> interpreting the GPL?  There are certainly differing opinions about
> exactly what it means, and we need to know exactly what we are voting
> on.

It is amazingly hard to define this precisely, and I have a feeling that
whatever we come up with, somebody will be able to find holes in it.

If something is debated to be a "System Library", then we can always do a
vote on a case by case basis. (not whether or not it is a system library,
but if we accept it into the codebase anyways).

Regards,
Marton