[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] Project policy on closed source components

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 03:23:49 EEST 2019

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 8:14 PM Marton Balint <cus at passwd.hu> wrote:

> considered

> >> Okay, now I am really confused, I thought the GPLv3 refers to the
> system
> >> libraries as the drivers interfaces, but that might not be a case,
> because
> >> that is also the major component?
> >>
> >> If that is the case, then my intention was obvisouly major component,
> but
> >> I wonder what the system library means then in GPL v3?
> >
> > As to that, I have no clue. I feel that the GPLv3 did not help on that
> part, and makes it more confusing (and many other parts).
> >
> > My understanding of major components of the OS, in GPLv2sense, is
> kernel+libc+compiler+init/shell+drivers+libraries-installed-with-the-previous.
>
> Ok, I just revoked the vote request on the 2nd question. Sorry for the
> mess.
>
> It looks like people prefer if GPL is not referenced at all in the
> question, so please propose a (preferably short, but still precise)
> wording for the vote about this.

Should decklink be removed? (Even if the headers are BSD, the end-user
functionality depends on closed-source libraries.)

Should future patches depending on any closed-source component be approved
of by a vote from this committee before being merged?

We could even do a vote on the nvidia stuffies, just so we've had that too.

Ronald