[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] Project policy on closed source components

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Mon Apr 29 21:34:51 EEST 2019

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

>>> This sounds to me as if you know of an alternative to not endorsing
>>> a company that profits from FFmpeg while at the same time
>>> violating the copyright of the FFmpeg developers?
>>> What could this alternative be?
>>
>> We could list them on our webpage hall of shame, or whatever.
>
> Could you be more specific?
>
> Both about the "webpage" and about our suggested message of
> both endorsing and shaming a software company at the same time?
>
>> To be frank, I consider this vote to be more important for our
>> project/community to make sure everyone's voice is heard,
>> than the actual outcome.
>
> I probably fail to parse this sentence as it makes no sense
> whatsoever to me;-(

At the moment, it looks to me that FFmpeg is a community without
leadership, enforced rules and consequences. In fact, I consider this the
main reason why people consider working in it an unfriendly experience.

We can't really change this for the better unless there is a somewhat
"recognized" authority which has the power to make decisions, rules, and
enforce them.

I hoped that this can be the voting comitte. Voting is important,
because people typically accept majority decisions even if they don't
agree with them. I believe that this is why several people including
me expressed that NDI removal should only have happened after a vote.

If we don't vote about this, but simply accept that somebody pushed this
without consensus, then it is a dangerous precedent, one that will only
prove that you don't really have to play by the rules here.

So that is what I mean, when I write that voting about this is important
for the community. Because the NDI issue and the way it was handled is a
manifestation of our bigger problems.

Regards,
Marton