[FFmpeg-devel] Proposal: Homebrew tap for FFmpeg

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Feb 9 01:13:40 EET 2019

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 10:03:36AM +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2019, at 21:41, Werner Robitza wrote:
> > Homebrew has, with its 2.0 release, removed all options for its core
> > formulae [1], including ffmpeg. This means users can no longer add
> > non-default dependencies that aren't included in the core formula [2].
>
> > I propose that FFmpeg maintains its own ffmpeg formula under its
> > GitHub organization at github.com/ffmpeg/homebrew-ffmpeg (or similar).
>
> Why do something special for homebrew, and not for all the other distributions?

I dont think anyone suggested that. Any other "distribution" should be treated
equal. I think homebrew is the first to suggest to have something put on
git*/ffmpeg. Whatever we do (or do not do) here we should do the same if
another distro is in a similar situation and asks too.

> Why is homebrew different? Are you going to merge all .spec files from all Linux distributions too?
>
> > That creates a bit of a messy situation, as users are expecting to be
> > able to build ffmpeg with additional libraries, including nonfree ones
> > such as fdk-aac. This is no longer easily doable.
>
> Helping people to build non-free distributions of FFmpeg is a very weird and dubious goal.
> This is just helping other people violate the FFmpeg license.

obviously, that should not be done.
And i would have thought that this also was not the goal

> > Please let me know your thoughts.
>
> Do not use Github to develop. Github is not-free. Use Github to mirror, if you want, but not to develop.

i would suggest that too.

thanks

You can kill me, but you cannot change the truth.