[FFmpeg-devel] Proposal: Homebrew tap for FFmpeg

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Feb 10 00:59:11 EET 2019

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019, at 11:59, Werner Robitza wrote:
> You could print an even more obvious warning message when these
> options are used.
> If that is a big concern, it can be easily dealt with.
>
> > And yes, I strongly advise against the project advertising those non-free options.
>
> Then the only consequence can be to remove these options or support
> for these libraries altogether, because you'll find plenty of guides
> and recommendations on how to build ffmpeg with non-free libs on the
> Internet – even supplied by members who are very active in the FFmpeg
> community. It is certainly your prerogative to be against explicit
> advertising, but where do you draw the line? Has there been any
> precedent with this, or is this going to be decided on a case-by-case
> basis?
>
> The only consequence would be a formula that is not owned and
> controlled by FFmpeg, and people will continue to build non-free
> binaries.

But then, it is not the project, doing it, but someone else.

To come back to the main topic, you can have a full FFmpeg in homebrew with all the libraries activated by default, if you want, without any issue.
I therefore  do not see at all the need for options.

Those options are just for non-free cases, and to be honest, I don't see why FFmpeg should advertise those.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf -  President
+33 672 704 734