[FFmpeg-devel] lavc/libvpxenc: Deprecate lossless option

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 20:59:41 EET 2019

>>> If there's a bug, it's in libav, in that, we can't signal when a value
>>> is assigned by the user or via user-initiated logic, versus being
>>> assigned as a default fallback. So it's a design conflict, and the
>>> workaround has been long documented.
>>>
>>> Maybe just before the next major bump, a new field should be
>>> introduced in AVOptions which registers if the field was
>>> populated at the behest of the user.
>> We could set the default for "b" to "0" without a major bump.
> Do you mean just the defaults in the vpx wrapper?

Yes.

> Ok.  Changing the lib
> default will affect encoders which make use the bitrate value, like mjpeg.
>
>> Is it expected that constant crf with vp8 leads to broken output?
> Not broken, simply unexpected for those used to  how x264/5 handle it in
> ffmpeg.

I tested -crf with "b:v 0" and the vp8 output (current FFmpeg git head,
a libvpx release) was broken: Every 100th or so frame looked ugly
and very different from the surrounding frames (no scene change).

I will try to reproduce again.

>>> Yes. A quick glance at vpx HEAD indicates it is, although
>>> -qmin & -qmax 0 should also work.

>>> I can reproduce the difference in result with
>>> fate-suite/h264-conformance/src19td.IBP.264
>> Yes, this returns a few non-lossless frames.
>>
>> Is the encoder meant to be used for actual encoding?
>> Or does -crf 0 have several meanings depending on specific options
>> and vp8 is just bad?

This should be vp9 (or libvpx assuming the above)

> We're talking about VP9. VP8 has no lossless mode. Yes, this is a
> production encoder - Youtube uses it to generate VP9 streams for
> uploaded videos.
>
> Like I mentioned earlier, CRF +  bitrate triggers constrained quality.
> If the rate ceiling is high enough, the result is equivalent to
> unclamped CRF, which is what the wrapper does when avctx bitrate is 0,
> set its own bitrate target to 1 Gbps.

So the problem is that with b:v 0 you currently get a completely unexpected
output depending on the resolution of the video? (And if you did use another
value for crf than 0, you won't even have a possibility to find out.)
Wow...

> In any case, -lossless shouldn't be deprecated unless the workaround
> produces identical results.

My question here is why crf 0 does not produce lossless encodings
(with "b:v 0"). Is this expected for some reason?
(But I get the point now after reading above sentence again.)

Carl Eugen