[FFmpeg-devel] Bug in YUV decoder

Gyan ffmpeg at gyani.pro
Fri Mar 15 09:53:34 EET 2019

Suspected bugs should be reported at trac.ffmpeg.org

This is not a decoder bug. ffplay uses SDL to render video; SDL supports
a limited number of YUV texture formats. So, most YUV inputs are
converted to yuv420p. Due to how the format negotiation happens, the
YUVJ formats are converted to BGRA for display, which is of course, not
subsampled. To emulate the same result with yuv444p, modify ffplay
command to,

     ffplay -f rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv444p -framerate 10 -vf format=bgra -s 640x480 -

Decoder bugs are best tested with some type of framehash muxer.

Gyan