[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] Project policy on closed source components

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Thu May 2 13:30:42 EEST 2019

On 28/04/2019 22:02, Marton Balint wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> There has been discussion on the mailing list several times about the
> inclusion of support for closed source components (codecs, formats,
> filters, etc) in the main ffmpeg codebase.
>
> Also the removal of libNDI happened without general consensus, so a vote
> is necessary to justify the removal.
>
> So here is a call to the voting committee [1] to decide on the following
> two questions:
>
> 1) Should libNDI support be removed from the ffmpeg codebase?

No

> 2) Should patches using closed source libraries which are not considered
> "System Libraries" according to the GPL be rejected?

They should have a very good reason to be included, but not generally be
rejected just on that basis.

On the example of NDI, its widespread use in video equipment and lack of
alternatives gives it plenty of reason to be part of FFmpeg.
So if this was still for vote in the current form, I'd say "No" here as
well.