[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] colorhold filter

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun May 5 22:07:33 EEST 2019

On 05.05.2019, at 18:04, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/5/19, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 04.05.2019, at 15:40, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I open voting for 7 days, for inclusion of colorhold filter in FFmpeg,
>>> with minor changes.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Why is there a need to vote?
>
> Because Nicolas objected on initial implementation. Dunno if he still
> object something
> on current updated patch.
>
>> What would be the objections existing or expected that would make a vote
>> necessary vs. the normal development process? I so far assumed voting was
>> purely a last-resort conflict resolution process.
>> Is there a quorum required, or would a vote be accepted even if there was
>> only one vote cast?
>
> This is to move forward and not be held back with blocking "arguments".

Not that I am entirely unsympathetic to some of the arguments (quite a few of my patches never made it in due to objections I did not agree with),
but it seems to me that in the end this is about the year-long feud between you and Nicolas.
Voting won't resolve that, and I can't imagine that many people look forward to
voting on a significant number of your patches (also because a proper vote really
would require them to review, and lack of reviewers seems to be part of the issue?).
Unfortunately unless there is someone you both respect enough to follow their decision even if you do not like it and who volunteers to arbitrate between you (small, direct and non-public votes so to say), I am rather short on actual solutions to suggest.
I expect that the fact alone that you both care enough about FFmpeg to still be around (in contrast to me) doesn't suddenly somehow provide enough common ground for you to find a way to work together constructively?

Best regards,
Reimar