[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware acceleration decoding question

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Thu May 23 12:29:43 EEST 2019

On 23.05.2019 10:06, Asaf Kave wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am using FFmpeg libarary in my software to do HW decoding for video
> (H.264\H.265) on windows machine.
> My decoding is based on 'hw_decode.c' example, and after i call decode a
> frame i am using  AVFrame::data[3] to get the pointer to
> the IDirect3DSurface9 and use it in my video player.
>
> i didn't find any direction\example how to handle this pointer after i done
> with it, do i need to release it? or the library is responsible for that ?
>
> Thanks,
> Asaf

This list is about development of FFmpeg itself, not for developing
against its libraries. You are probably looking for libav-users.

Regarding your question, the Hardware Buffers are wrapped in the
internal buffers of the frame. So whenever you unref the frame, you
should consider them as freed.
In reality they just going to be re-used though.