[FFmpeg-devel] ABI break in 4.3

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Jul 6 02:28:25 EEST 2020

On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 11:48:14PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Sunday 2020-07-05 23:17, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> >so its all doable in theory, but at that point the question arises, can we
> >maybe generate this automatically from the APIchanges file if we decide to
> >do that.
> >APIchanges should list all added functions and the version numbers.
>
> APIchanges would have to become more "machine-readable".

yes

> Like, for example,
> https://github.com/bminor/glibc/blob/master/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/64/libc.abilist

machines are not that stupid. The existing format is fine, it just has to be
consistent
just consider
git grep '[Aa]dd [a-z0-9_]*()' doc/APIchanges
that probably catches most added functions, the previous hash from each
gives you the git version to match it to.
Sure it wont work for 100% but the 5% this fails for can be just edited
to be consistent so it works too and it keeps the format enjoyable for humans
to read and write

Take away the freedom of one citizen and you will be jailed, take away
the freedom of all citizens and you will be congratulated by your peers
in Parliament.