[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2023

Thilo Borgmann thilo.borgmann at mail.de
Mon Jan 23 12:50:39 EET 2023

Hi,

sorry for delay, some thoughts:

> video industry has high anticipation for  VVC. The goal of the ffvvc
> project is to provide a VVC decoder for FFmpeg. We invite you to join us in> improving ffvvc. Depending on your background, you will help add
> ALF/SAO/Predict assembly code or new features/tests for ffvvc.
> Expected results: 500+ lines of code merged into the ffvvc project.

The "We invite you..." sentence seems out of... our evil strictly technical style.

I would avoid a background discussion and project definition talk with an interested student.
Better do offer two distinct project ideas, one for assembly opts and one for features/tests.
Possibly you could also split the testing into even a third project and make it the smallest project duration.
It might even be extended to add tests in general... just VVC as the first to do.

Also, we could only ask for one slot per project idea (which is meant to be taken by one individual).
Means if you got more than one interested & capable students, you could not accept more than one.

> Prerequisites: Good C and Assembly code, basic familiarity with Git, and
> knowledge of codecs.
>
> Difficulty: Hard
>
> Qualification Task: Fix any issue on https://github.com/ffvvc/FFmpeg/issues
> or any patch merged by ffvvc.
>
> Mentor: Nuo Mi (nuomi2021 at gmail dot com)
>
> Duration: 350 hours

> Hi All,
> It's more than welcome if somebody can do the co-mentor.  Please reply to
> this if you are interested.

This part will hardly be recognized by many, maybe sent another mail for that.
It might be faster to ask once or twice on ffmpeg-devel IRC.

For a testing project, you can add me as backup mentor.
For the opts & features I would prefer someone else to do it - although I will if nobody else can be found.

-Thilo