[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC]] swscale modernization proposal

Niklas Haas ffmpeg at haasn.xyz
Sat Jun 29 13:58:03 EEST 2024

On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 15:41:58 +0800 Zhao Zhili <quinkblack at foxmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Right now, these operations both live inside the main SwsContext, even though
> > they are conceptually orthogonal. Input handling is done entirely by the
> > abstract callbacks lumToYV12 etc., while output conversion is currently
> > "merged" with vertical scaling (yuv2planeX etc.).
> >
> > I want to cleanly separate these components so they can live inside independent
> > contexts, and be considered as semantically distinct steps. (In particular,
> > there should ideally be no more "unscaled special converters", instead this can
> > be seen as a special case where there simply is no vertical/horizontal scaling
> > step)
> >
> > The idea is for the colorspace conversion layer to sit in between the
> > input/output converters and the horizontal/vertical scalers. This all would be
> > orchestrated by the avscale_* abstraction.
> >
> > ## Implementation details
> >
> > To avoid performance loss from separating "merged" functions into their
> > constituents, care needs to be taken such that all intermediate data, in
> > addition to all involved look-up tables, will fit comfortably inside the L1
> > cache. The approach I propose, which is also (afaict) used by zscale, is to
> > loop over line segments, applying each operation in sequence, on a small
> > temporary buffer.
> >
> > e.g.
> >
> > hscale_row(pixel *dst, const pixel *src, int img_width)
> > {
> >    const int SIZE = 256; // or some other small-ish figure, possibly a design
> >                          // constant of the API so that SIMD implementations
> >                          // can be appropriately unrolled
> >
> >    pixel tmp[SIZE];
> >    for (i = 0; i < img_width; i += SIZE) {
> >        int pixels = min(SIZE, img_width - i);
> >
> >        { /* inside read input callback */
> >            unpack_input(tmp, src, pixels);
> >            // the amount of separation here will depend on the performance
> >            apply_matrix3x3(tmp, yuv2rgb, pixels);
> >            apply_lut3x1d(tmp, gamma_lut, pixels);
> >        }
> >
> >        hscale(dst, tmp, filter, pixels);
> >
> >        src += pixels;
> >        dst += scale_factor(pixels);
> >    }
> > }
> >
> > This function can then output rows into a ring buffer for use inside the
> > vertical scaler, after which the same procedure happens (in reverse) for the
> > final output pass.
> >
> > Possibly, we also want to additionally limit the size of a row for the
> > horizontal scaler, to allow arbitrary large input images.
>
> I did a simple benchmark to compare the performance between libswscale and
> libyuv. With Apple M1 arm64, libyuv is about 10 times faster than libswscale for
> unscaled rgba to yuv420p. After recently aarch64 neon optimizations, libyuv is
> still 5 times faster than libswscale. The situation isn’t much better with scaled
> conversion.
>
> Sure libswscale has more features and can be more precise than libyuv. Hope
> we can catch up the performance after your refactor.

AFAICT, libyuv does not do any dithering nor advanced filtering, which
swscale is capable of. They also do processing at a pretty low bit
depth, e.g. converting from 8-bit yuv420p straight to 8-bit rgba before
scaling at, you guessed it, 8-bit resolution. (libswscale would use
15-bit here)

That said, there's probably still something we can/should learn from
this implementation.