[FFmpeg-soc] E-AC3 decoder, version control

Justin Ruggles justinruggles at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 9 18:54:13 CET 2007

Hi,

I've decided to go ahead and clean up the E-AC3 decoder so it can be
included in FFmpeg.  One thing that's giving me a hard time getting
started is that there are copies of files that are already in FFmpeg,
but an old snapshot, plus changes.  What a mess.  What I really want to
do, if it's okay, is to wrap all the changes to existing files into the
ffmpeg.patch.  The history of changes to existing code won't be saved,
but trying to preserve them on top of changes that have been made in
subsequent revisions would be a nightmare.  This is a time that I really
wish soc was a group of git branches. :)  Maybe next year...

I guess another option would be to go back and "rebase" by manually
applying each change since the snapshot and resolving any conflicts.
That's pretty labor-intensive though, and it still doesn't make things
any easier when it comes time to merge into FFmpeg SVN since I can't go
back and insert the changes at the beginning.  I would sort of have to
recreate the file histories, resolving each conflict one at a time, on
top of the current versions. Yikes.

Any thoughts?

-Justin