[FFmpeg-soc] How is everyone progressing?

Alexander Strange astrange at ithinksw.com
Fri Aug 1 06:19:41 CEST 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 8:54 PM, Robert Swain wrote:

> Hello GSoCers,
>
> I was wondering how everyone was progressing on their tasks. Here is
> the list of people and what I perceive as their status:
>
> Multi-threaded decoding - Alexander - Active - Still working on h.264
> but it is performing well.

> Please respond to this mail commenting on your (or your student's)
> progress so we can all see what's going on.
>
> Regards,
> Rob

Progressive H.264 is done and working, but PAFF is currently broken.
I'll have that fixed as soon as lu_zero can update his mainline git
mirror.

Right now I'm working on slice+frame threading, and then I'll do
encoding. I was really expecting to be closer to finished by now, so
I'll try to get basic stuff finished first - I don't want it sitting
around unmergeable forever. Any more codecs we want converted can be
done later, or the maintainer can do it themselves if I write good
enough documentation.

One thing I'm not sure about is all the other thread stuff - I could
get rid of some duplicate code if we dropped support for non-pthreads.
All the other OSes have pthread emulation libraries that are probably
better maintained than our os2/w32/bethreads, and I can't test or
compile what I have on them so I have no idea what I've broken. But
since they probably work on mainline at the moment, I could just do my
best to leave them alone.