[FFmpeg-soc] ALAC Benchmarks

Jai Menon realityman at gmx.net
Wed Aug 20 18:52:57 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Wednesday 20 Aug 2008 9:33:25 pm Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Jai Menon <realityman at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Mike, did you by any chance get time to do the benchmarks with the alac
> > encoder in FFmpeg-svn? I was thinking of posting a news item on
> > Hydrogenaudio and it would be nice if I could link to that spreadsheet. I
> > would have tried but I don't have the samples and know how of the
> > methodology ;-). Thanks in advance.
>
> I have a question about your ALAC encoder: since this is a lossless
> compression, is it safe to assume that no listening test is needed to
> compare your encoder to other encoders?
>
> Guillaume

Yes. The decoded output is bitexact to the original source. You could do ABX
tests to convince yourself though :-)
And please do not pay heed to the doubting hordes at Hydrogenaudio who say
that the encoded audio "lacks bass" and assorted nonsense :-) [1].

I'm no expert but I think you don't need any listening tests to confirm if its
lossless.

[1] http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=38817&st=0

Regards,

Jai Menon