[FFmpeg-soc] ALAC Benchmarks

Jai Menon realityman at gmx.net
Mon Aug 25 17:38:30 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Monday 25 Aug 2008 7:50:19 am Mike Melanson wrote:
> Jai Menon wrote:
> > There are options to select min and max prediction orders but till I
> > finish tuning the encoder completely, you could try something like :
> >
> > ./ffmpeg -i <file.wav> -acodec alac <output.m4a>
> >
> > That should give you pretty decent compression.
>
> Should this result in a file that can play on an iPod? I see Guillaume
> reported success but I can not play the files on my iPod Touch.

No it should not. I remember somebody saying the last time around also that
the iPod Touch doesn't play the encoded files. And I still believe it to be a
problem related to muxing rather than the encoder generating invalid streams.
Well, I hope somebody with a Touch can provide some kind of
patch/information. Nevertheless, Its interesting to see how various iPod
generations are incompatible  ;-)

Regards,

Jai Menon