[FFmpeg-soc] LC AAC

Andreas Öman andreas at olebyn.nu
Tue Feb 26 19:36:26 CET 2008

Hi, a bit off topic, but ...

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 04:04:03PM +0100, Andreas Öman wrote:
>> Whats the limit?
>
> This is a good question :)
> The default reader should be able to handle any amount but others might not
> i suspect some will fail >17-32 bits ...

Yeah, it seems to be the same limit as imposed by the get_bits()
if I understand the source correctly.

>> I cant seem to find any docs about it.
>
> If you figure the limit out add a #define with it please to each reader :)

By grepping around a bit I find a lot of places in the ffmpeg trunk
that have skip_bits(gb, "a value > 17").

Either we could change them into skip_bits_long(), or change the
bitstream API to allow skip_bits() to accept arbitrary lengths.

As pointed out in the bitstream.h source file the ALT_BITSTREAM_READER
skip_bits() and skip_bits_long() compiles into pretty much the
same thing.

I also don't think skip_bits() is used in any speed critical
parts of the code so it just doesn't really matter if it is
superoptimized.

Comments?