[FFmpeg-soc] swscale ideas

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Jul 10 12:01:50 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:03:26PM +0900, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Things we do NOT need
> >
> > * randomly moving code around
> >
> > Things that are low priority but certainly very welcome as well
> >
> > * Cleanly seperating the asm code with clean common API(s)
> >   This could be in the form of a dsputil like context with function pointers
> >   It could also be in one of many other forms.
> >   But leaving code as it is and just replacing every asm() by a literal
> >   blah_mmx() call is not ok.
>
> Well first you have to get the blah() set and then put it in the context
> so you need to start somehow...

but the code is not cleanly split currently, we do in some cases not have
x86-asm, ppc-asm and C functions doing the same. so moving each asm in its own
function will not provide you with 3 sets of functions that are
interchangeable.
I really think its a extreemly bad idea to move asm code around before you
have any system in place to switch between things (that is no dsputil context
no global function ptrs, nothing)

Frequently ignored awnser#1 FFmpeg bugs should be sent to our bugtracker. User
questions about the command line tools should be sent to the ffmpeg-user ML.
And questions about how to use libav* should be sent to the libav-user ML.