[FFmpeg-soc] swscale ideas

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Jul 10 12:46:12 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 02:02:30PM +0900, Keiji Costantini wrote:
> This is my plan:
>
> 1)Make a C-only version of sws_scale, usable asap. No mmx, altivec, asm
> code here.
> 2)Reinsert optimized code in a non-intrusive way, to gain speed. It
> would be possible for non-bitexact code to be disabled.
>
> This will make a C-only core, universal, simple and fast to
> understand/debug/correct.
> I already worked to a C-only implementation in my messed-branch
> (nodame), which kinda worked. I am going to export this in a new branch.
>
> Are there suggestions/corrections/objections/fire/cola to this plan?

What you describe is a rewrite of swscale, this is not doable in the time
available, besides there is no sense or need for a rewrite.
Also after the rewrite one would have to completely redo the whole and
split it in clean, small and well seperated patches. Again this is
not doable in the time, not even if we where at the start of gsoc now.

Besides if the new code would not be better it would be rejected outright.
And let me be blunt i do not think it will be any better, not after
less than the time invested in the original.
Also i have no confidence in the rewrite idea after looking at the git
repo.

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated
form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty. -- Plato