[FFmpeg-soc] swscale ideas

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Thu Jul 10 17:27:32 CEST 2008

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> MMX dither code mangles global vars, shouldn't.
>
> ?

MANGLE() in it's _best_

>> MMX code has variables in the context not ifdeffed, shouldn't.
>
> ?

Altivec and bfin variables are cleanly marked and got compiled only on
the right arch, mmx are considered part of the standard swscale and got
in the way always.

> Code _changes_ global vars and breaks multi threaded apps. <--- that should
> be fixed.

from what I seen it's due the MANGLE() usage, I guess a nice legacy from
mplayer assumptions.

>> I'd rather have the mmx code shuffled away completely (c.f. nodame
>> branch)
>
> Your git repo is a mess, ive mentioned it already in private mail but
> commits like that are not reviewable:
>
>     ppc now working
>
>  Makefile              |    6 +-
>  internal_bfin.S       |  607 -------------------------------
>  ppc/swscale_altivec.c |   12 +-
>  ppc/swscale_altivec.h |   53 +++
>  swscale.c             |   17 +-
>  swscale_bfin.c        |   94 -----
>  yuv2rgb_altivec.c     |  960 -------------------------------------------------
>  yuv2rgb_bfin.c        |  207 -----------
>
> (and thats just the last commit from when i pulled last time)

That is a mess that will be reverted since mangles my changes to get ppc
working and the move of bfin code in a separate dir.

*My* git repo isn't public btw.

>> before addressing those gory details. Having the swscale C
>> implementation clean is a better starting point than trying to address
>> the x86 hacks first.
>
> We have reached the middle of SOC, you HAD time to do that, you failed.

The scratch branch (nodame) had the code splited out and *HOPEFULLY* a
polished branch (chiaki) will appear with the changes in a reviewable
form for our pleasure.

> I do expect a little more than moving asm code around for the google
> payment!

Right now he had:

- pushed small changes and polishing here and there for svn (chiaki)
- moved away the code I disliked and cleaned up swscale.c (nodame)
- botched committing my changes for ppc and bfin. (nodame)

I'd like you to calm a bit.

lu

--

Luca Barbato