[FFmpeg-soc] BFI

Sisir Koppaka sisir.koppaka at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 17:20:09 CET 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> wrote:

> Sisir Koppaka wrote:
> [...]
> >     Stream #0.1: Audio: pcm_u8, 3906 Hz, mono, 31 kb/s
>
> Err, 3906 Hz is not a sane playback frequency. Read this article for
> sane PCM properties:
>
>   http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=PCM
>
> I examined 2287.bfi and the correct sample rate is in there. You must
> have read the wrong offset.

Checking up this now...Do you use vim for examining the file? I can only
recognize a few things like headers...if you could elaborate a bit on
examining the files better, it'd help me a lot with the reading of the
chunks because the wiki specs are a bit vague on the content of the headers
etc...which is making me declare extra toggle variables and all instead of
just searching for the header to detect a new chunk.

> > Must supply at least one output file
> >
> > Reading audio now/video now etc. are debugging messages. The
> segmentation
> > fault was apparently because of unnecessary pointer assignment. At least
> all
> > the info's displaying well enough :) and now, how do I play the file(to
> test
> > the audio stream) when ffplay is not installing when I compile ffmpeg.
>
> Congratulations on your progress. BTW, if you want to feed anything to
> gdb, use 'ffmpeg_g'. That has debugging symbols. 'ffmpeg' is the
> stipped, "release" version of the same binary.

Thanks a lot! If it weren't for you and the wonderful people in the FFmpeg
community who have so graciously spent so much time clarifying my every
single doubt, I couldn't have come this far. It's been a helluva ride(except
that sig fault part, but yeah that's what makes the ride worth it, I guess
:) ) so far, and I hope it stays that way till the end!

> Check your main build directory. There is an ffmpeg binary there. Is
> there an ffplay binary there as well? If so, then use it as './ffplay
> <file.bfi>' and report a bug that it doesn't get installed.

No, there isn't a ffplay binary, though I can see the ffmpeg, ffmpeg_g,
ffserver and ffserver_g binaries. In fact, ffplay doesn't seem to have
compiled, there isn't an object file for it.

> However, I suspect ffplay is not there. That means it's not being built.
> That probably means you don't have SDL installed. Figure it out from
> there.

Doing this...

> Another way to test if you are demuxing the sound correctly:
>
>   ffmpeg -i <file.bfi> <file.wav>
>
> Then play the WAV file with another media player.

Will test after debugging the PCM frequency offset issue.