[FFmpeg-soc] gsoc 2008 project

Robert Swain robert.swain at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 19:55:34 CET 2008

On 22/03/2008, Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> wrote:
> Sarath Lakshman | ശരത്ത് ലക്ഷ്മണ് wrote:
>  > I would like to take up  the project to write GUI front end for ffmpeg for
>  > gsoc 2008. It was actually me who proposed the idea in the IRC channel. I
>  > have been looking for some GUI based tool for ffmpeg so that lots of tiny
>  > video cutting, conversion can be carried out under GNU/Linux easily. I'm
>  > pretty sure that this tool would be useful for lots of people working under
>  > linux. It would definitely provide easy access to functionalities provided
>  > by the ffmpeg.
>  >
>  > *Project*
>  >  [edit<http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Summer_Of_Code_2008&action=edit&section=23>
>  > ]
>  > GUI for FFmpeg
>  >
>  > Build a gui for the libs of FFmpeg. The main objective in this task is to
>  > extent the codecs and formats to support querying of features and good
>  > defaults. The actual GUI should just be a simple skeleton with support for
>  > encoding of multiple files. Most of the work will be done in the libs.
>  >
>  > I would like to know about the qualifying task ?
>
> Actually, we have been discussing this idea recently on the main
>  development list. We don't think the GUI idea works as a GSoC project
>  idea. In fact, I am going to remove it from the list now.

Mike, I think that's a bit too hasty. The project suggestion implies a
lot of work on the libraries and not so much on the GUI itself. Maybe
the task shouldn't be considered a GUI task but something more
specific to the libraries. I wanted to know what the original author
of the task proposal had in mind for the work on the libraries. We
should evaluate this before striking it from the potential projects in
my opinion. We might be able to get something useful out of this.

Rob