[FFmpeg-soc] [rfc] using git for the new students

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Mar 26 14:25:39 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 09:12:02AM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Beside the concerns from mike and possibly others (I'll guide you
> through the git documentation pointing the nice one and/or giving you
> answers), I'd like to use git to manage our students this year.
>
> Pros:
> - sane branch : mentors won't have to track by diff and new files like
> the last year, you can get your branch from the main git repo and pull
> changes from the student repo.
> - good merge support : getting the whole history back (even cleaned up
> if necessary) will be way simpler thanks git-svn.
>

> Cons:
> - mentors have to learn git.

and students have to as well ...

So IMHO if any student (and their mentor) want to use git instead of svn
thats fine.

Frequently ignored awnser#1 FFmpeg bugs should be sent to our bugtracker. User
questions about the command line tools should be sent to the ffmpeg-user ML.
And questions about how to use libav* should be sent to the libav-user ML.