[FFmpeg-soc] Specific Project Goals

Sisir Koppaka sisir.koppaka at gmail.com
Sat May 3 18:30:45 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Reimar Döffinger <
Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 09:35:35PM +0530, Sisir Koppaka wrote:
> > A small note about the soc-repos, I'm not sure which thread to say this
> or
> > if this is too early, but I think I should inform early - Even Git
> cloning
> > under http doesn't work through the proxy net of my college. I don't
> have
> > any problems now using git since I'm at home but during the last month
> or
> > so, I will probably be back in college in my next semester, so it might
> > cause some problems then. SVN checkouts worked fine over http last time
> > checked and I hope that it will not be compulsory to use Git.
>
> What kind of things do they allow? Can you use at least ssh? If yes I am
> sure a few of us can offer you to tunnel. In the worst case there is
> also tunnelling via DNS which I would assume at least one of us would be
> able to offer if it becomes necessary.

We can't do ssh directly from our machines but they provide access to a
public machine, from which we can ssh into the outside world. I think this +
tunnelling would work but only this is a security risk because anyone can
login using the same public credentials. This is a viable option if someone
could offer tunnelling help.

> And if your college offers computer-science courses you might try pointing
> out that blocking things like svn, ssh or git blocks some heavily
> education-related stuff, not to mention that filtering only works
> against the lazy people anyway...

 This is so very true and it is in fact blocking out a lot of useful stuff.
The CS course is top-notch yet somehow they do such things. I hear they
don't block some of the CS department's machines...but all our hostels are
blocked. :(

--
Sisir Koppaka