[FFmpeg-soc] Tips From The Hardened FFmpeg Veterans

Mike Melanson mike at multimedia.cx
Wed May 7 00:52:03 CEST 2008

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 03:23:19PM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:
>> * ccache (ccache.samba.org): This tool caches your compiled object
>> files. Of course, this is most useful in a project with proper
>> dependencies,
>
> Proper dependency handling is irrelevant to ccache actually.

Proper dependency handling renders ccache unnecessary for normal
development workflow. But without the dependencies and the ensuing
uncertainties about object file consistency, full rebuilds are required
when strange stuff starts breaking.

>> and I'm never sure where FFmpeg is at in terms of proper dependencies.
>
> Shame on you, Mike!  What rock have you been hiding under this past
> weeks and months?  We have proper non-recursive make and absolutely
> complete and automatic dependency handling now.

Is that what all the build system furniture-moving has been for? :) I
was wondering what all those little .d files were.

>> And if you're never sure about this, use ccache. It's as
>> easy as ' ./configure --cc="ccache gcc" '.
>
> Or just make cc/gcc be a link to ccache.  Then it is 100% transparent.

Not ergonomic if you have a dozen different compilers installed. :) But
I know I'm a pathological case all around.

--
	-Mike Melanson