[FFmpeg-soc] Attention: FFMPEG bkeak License Agreement. You break the law

Kostya kostya.shishkov at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 10:59:35 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 08:50:34AM +0400, Sergey Kochetkov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have read this news and look at source codes.
>
> June 16, 2008) UAB "DKD" (dkd.lt) have released a Nellymoser ASAO compatible
> decoder and encoder under the LGPL. This will aid the development of a
> native encoder in FFmpeg, and right now a GSoC student is working hard on
> just that task. A great thanks to UAB "DKD" for this contribution to the
> FFmpeg community.
>
> This source codes has been created from Nellymoser Crisma product with
> license agreement broken using code-reverse, that not allow by License
> Agreement of Nellymoser Crisma. You MUST STOP USE and public this source
> codes.

*Sigh* Looks like such cease-and-desist emails in badly-written English
without any solid ground for demands become the face of modern Russia
(should I name certain e-libraries?).

Seriously, why should anybody listen to some person who is not a legal
represantative and does not have any solid evidence to confirm his word?

Swiss law allows reverse-engineering (article 21 of Swiss Copyright Law),
translation to English available at WIPO
http://www.wipo.int/clea/en/text_html.jsp?lang=EN&id=648

Please look here for comparison
http://www.fips.ru/avp/law/5351-1SN.HTM#st25

And don't say afterwards you haven't been ignored.