[FFmpeg-soc] [soc]: r3744 - aacenc/aacenc.c

Kostya kostya.shishkov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 07:08:08 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:01:59PM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Kostya <kostya.shishkov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Now it is slower than before (and M/S detection is not
> > enabled yet),
>
> Your latest figure was 30 times slower than realtime on Core2. How is it now?

maybe 45x slower since I've thrown out incorrect optimizations

> > but stereo stream at ~64kbps is significantly
> > better now (and I'm almost pleased with it).
>
> That rises another question: I thought that current code couldn't do
> any kind of bitrate control. How can one currently control the quality
> of the encode currently then? Do you need to pass a bitrate, and the
> resulting encode with be a CBR, ABR, or VBR encode? Do you pass a
> quality figure like vorbis uses?

For now I just have hardcoded lambda parameter. By adjusting it one
can obtain desired bitrate, by not touching it - desired quality.
I will try to make it follow ABR in the near future.

My task now is to create anchor for future practical implementation,
which will be faster but less optimal. Until then we have CPU cycles
waster ;)