[FFmpeg-soc] AAC Encoding - Where we stand, what's left

Robert Swain robert.swain at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 22:06:19 CEST 2009

2009/7/8 Alex Converse <alex.converse at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Diego Biurrun<diego at biurrun.de> wrote:

[...]

>> Yes, that's why it is crap and needs to be replaced.  The 3GPP AAC
>> encoder has just one license: prohibitively nonfree.  There is really
>> nothing more to say about it...
>>
>> What is your point exactly?
>
> It's the best AAC encoder with source available. I don't see a path to
> merging our AAC encoder anytime in the near future.

It may be the best AAC encoder with the source available, but I
disagree that there's no path to merging ours.

> I also think we are getting to the point where an encoder without SBR
> is a bit of a joke.

I definitely disagree with this. People more commonly use higher bit
rates, and so LC, for stereo AAC audio in video content. SBR is pretty
much needed for multi-channel audio at reasonable bit rates though.
And for music, LC AAC is definitely preferred.

Regards,
Rob

PS - I have more comments to make in this thread but I'm a bit busy at
the moment.