[FFmpeg-soc] AAC Encoding - Where we stand, what's left

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 23:55:54 CEST 2009

On 07/08/2009 02:06 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:41:52PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> On 07/08/2009 12:28 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:12:20AM -0400, Alex Converse wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Also if you need (per codec) options as you said, tell me which, ill add
>>> them
>> Do you have a per codec option system ready ? :)
>
> no, i need a list of requirements/goals/use cases first
> once i know what the system should do that AVCodecContext fields cannot,
> iam sure it shouldnt be that hard ...

What's needed:

is custom options for encoders/decoders/muxers/demuxers which are only
needed for one element.

The idea of using AVCodecContext/AVFormatContext doesn't please some
devs it seems (including Justin, Alex, and me).

Of course global values used by all must be put in the global context.

I think _devs_ would like to be able to have custom options not fitting
everywhere else without poluting global context. This would also permit
to have x264 and lame mapped commandlines options.

Can this request be considered ?