[FFmpeg-soc] vf_overlay with transparancy

zeger at customsoft.nl zeger at customsoft.nl
Sun May 24 13:30:41 CEST 2009

Vitor Sessak wrote:
> A patch to add alpha handling to vf_overlay.c has been posted to
> ffmpeg-devel (search for the thread "Support alphablending in the
> overlay filter"). The add_alpha filter has also been posted to
> ffmpeg-devel, see vf_alpha.patch in thread "[RFC] Alpha support"

After adding the vf_overlay blend patch as suggested I wrote an
updated vf_alpha filter since I needed Y based transparency and did
not like the YUV -> RGB -> YUV conversions.

I ran into a slight problem when combining the vf_alpha filter with
vf_scale; div by zero. I am not sure how to fix this other than
patching vf_alpha.

I've been using the following filter chain to test the overlay with
alpha and scaling combination:

 input ----------------------> deltapts0 --> overlay --> output
                                               ^
 movie --> alpha --> scale --> deltapts1 ------|