[FFmpeg-soc] soc qualification

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Mar 27 18:43:54 CET 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:24:26AM -0700, Sumit Sarkar wrote:

> >> Talk to the respective mentors (Kostya & Reimar) on IRC or via email.
> >
> > I am unfortunately almost never on IRC currently.
> > The problem with the AACS task is that it was originally meant to cover
> > HD-DVD and BluRay, however I feel we might have trouble getting HD-DVD
> > samples.
> > For BluRay the infrastructure to pass the key to the proper layer (stream
> > layer IMO here) is not even there.
> > So if you want to do this task I would suggest coming up with a design
> > of how the decryption would fit into FFmpeg and a minimal "demo"
> > implementation as far as you can get as a qualification task.
> > If others have comments that would be welcome, because I haven't thought
> > about this proposed task since over a year and am no longer 100% sure
> > about it anymore.
>
> Thanks for the response, I am a newbie and would feel scared on a
> project where the expert
> is not sure of the project. I have started looking at the code only.

Well, I am not an expert for AACS, not at all.
However the reason why I am unsure is that BluRay only, basic AACS
alone seems too little work for a whole SoC project - implementing
CSS is one of the suggestions around that.
But given all that, should we maybe move AACS to tier 2?

> I would like to do a video project (not an audio project) and
> preferably not a Microsoft standard one.

Well, AACS does not really have much to do with video :-).
There is mostly encoders left in that area, which I considered always
a bit harder than decoders.

> Please advise which project would be a good fit and also the
> corresponding qualification task.

I haven't discussed it with the other developers and honestly it
depends most of all on what interests you, but maybe finishing the
Dirac decoder and encoder as project with getting the existing
Dirac decoder integrated?
Note that this depends on finding someone willing to mentor that task,
I don't know Dirac.
Luca (B)?

Reimar