[FFmpeg-soc] soc qualification

Sumit Sarkar govsarkar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 19:30:51 CET 2010

>> Thanks for the response, I am a newbie and would feel scared on a
>> project where the expert
>> is not sure of the project. I have started looking at the code only.
>
> Well, I am not an expert for AACS, not at all.
> However the reason why I am unsure is that BluRay only, basic AACS
> alone seems too little work for a whole SoC project - implementing
> CSS is one of the suggestions around that.
> But given all that, should we maybe move AACS to tier 2?
>
>> I would like to do a video project (not an audio project) and
>> preferably not a Microsoft standard one.
>
> Well, AACS does not really have much to do with video :-).
> There is mostly encoders left in that area, which I considered always
> a bit harder than decoders.
>
>> Please advise which project would be a good fit and also the
>> corresponding qualification task.
>
> I haven't discussed it with the other developers and honestly it
> depends most of all on what interests you, but maybe finishing the
> Dirac decoder and encoder as project with getting the existing
> Dirac decoder integrated?
> Note that this depends on finding someone willing to mentor that task,
> I don't know Dirac.
> Luca (B)?
>
> Reimar

Thanks Reimar for the advise.

Getting the  completed Dirac decoder integrated
to the ffmpeg codebase will entail as the qualifying task ? And the encoder
will constitute the GSoC itself ?

I saw details of the previous years project in here :
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Dirac_Encoder_AND_Decoder

If it is acceptable , I would be more than happy to try the qualifying
task. That said, can someone
please tell me what needs to be done ? What is meant by getting it integrated ?

Regards,
GS