[FFmpeg-soc] libavfilter audio work - qualification task

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it
Wed Mar 31 20:38:50 CEST 2010

On date Wednesday 2010-03-31 19:42:52 +0200, Víctor Paesa encoded:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:26 PM, S.N. Hemanth Meenakshisundaram wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I would like to take up the libavfilter audio work for gsoc. What would be a
> > good qualification task for this? The wiki says the mentor is yet to be
> > determined, so am asking on this list. I was thinking of taking up the
> > vf_imlib2 work or Cedric's blending routines from the interesting patches
> > list. Is someone else already working on these or is there a more suitable
> > qualification task I can take up?

I believe any task related to audio and/or filtering is fine.

As for the mentorship, I'm not the most qualified person here for what
regards the audio part, but I'll try to act as mentor if no-one else
will step for that (Vitor?) iff there is agreement on that, otherwise
I'll gladly co-mentor.

> vf_imlib2 is an interesting patch (in my not neutral opinion) but it doesn't fit
> the filter development direction.
> And that makes me think you need to read the README in SoC libavfilter
> :-)

I've not a strong opinion on this, but there are very intersting
libraries (e.g. libopencv, libaa, or think at libfestival or libsphynx
for audio) which would make sense to hookup in libavfilter without to
replicate all the functionality in FFmpeg, that would be out of
scope.

As for the qualification task, in the case people don't like the
vf_imlib2 port, I suggest a deinterlace/interlace filter which seems
needed for video filters integration in ffmpeg, I believe there is
something in MPlayer/libmpcodecs which can be used as reference, but
as I said anything related to audio/filtering should be OK for showing
us if you seem able to accomplish the GSoC task.

Good luck!, regards.