[FFmpeg-soc] [RFC] rtsp http tunneling implementation

Martin Storsjö martin at martin.st
Sat May 29 11:38:35 CEST 2010

On Sat, 29 May 2010, Martin Storsjö wrote:

> On Fri, 28 May 2010, Josh Allmann wrote:
>
> > Since RTSP over HTTP basically involves a few http request-replies and
> > base64-encoding RTSP into a HTTP POST, I have the following thoughts:
> >
> > -Add HTTP as a lower transport mechanism in rtsp.c
>
> IMO, it isn't a lower transport mechanism, since it's orthogonal to them.
> You can run the RTSP session either as normal, or tunneled over HTTP - and
> in both cases you can send the RTP packets over UDP or interleaved in the
> RTSP session.

On second note - even while what I said above is true, the whole point of
HTTP tunneling usually is to avoid having to send RTP packets over UDP. So
if HTTP mode is enabled, I guess we want to make that select TCP as lower
transport mode, to enable interleaving. Technically, I guess one could do
RTP/UDP even if the RTSP session is tunneled over HTTP, but it doesn't
make much sense.

// Martin