[FFmpeg-trac] #211(avformat:closed): Function static int64_t nut_read_timestamp(AVFormatContext *s, int stream_index, int64_t *pos_arg, int64_t pos_limit) haven't got return operator after assert(0)

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Thu May 19 00:29:33 CEST 2011

#211: Function static int64_t nut_read_timestamp(AVFormatContext *s, int
stream_index, int64_t *pos_arg, int64_t pos_limit) haven't got return
operator after assert(0)
-------------------+-----------------------
Reporter:  Alex    |       Owner:  michael
    Type:  defect  |      Status:  closed
Blocking:          |  Reproduced:  0
Analyzed:  1       |
-------------------+-----------------------
Changes (by saste):

 * analyzed:  0 => 1
 * resolution:   => invalid
 * status:  new => closed
 * component:  avutil => avformat

Comment:

 The last part of the function is:

     if     (stream_index == -1) return pts;
     else if(stream_index == -2) return back_ptr;

 assert(0);
 }

 So the function will either return a value or assert, because the
 condition is unexpected, so I don't believe there is an error here. Maybe
 some graceful recovery code could be put, but if there are no samples
 raising the assert condition (and possibly it is not even possible, unless
 there are programming errors), then I believe the issue can be safely
 closed.

 Let us know if you if you don't agree or if there are samples which can
 raise the assert.

--
Ticket URL: <https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/211#comment:1>
FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org>